NOTICE TO APPRENTICES
Please note that you reference code is NOT provided by the school. You have to create an account at the below mentioned link and a 16 digit reference code will be received in the same account after 24 to 48 hours.
HOW YOU APPLY FOR EMPLOYMENT PROGRAM OF BC APPRENTICE FINANCIAL SUPPORTS
**IMPORTANT: THIS IS HOW YOU APPLY AND RECEIVE YOUR E.I. REFERENCE CODE
**YOU MUST APPLY AT LEAST 1 MONTH PRIOR AND NO LATER THAN THE 1ST DAY OF CLASS*
You may be eligible for financial support for the classroom portion of your apprentice training through the WorkBC Apprentice Services. All apprentice services and supports are delivered through the WorkBC Apprentice Services Contractor.
WHO CAN APPLY
You can apply if you are an ITA registered apprentice who meets EI eligibility as an Active EI Claimant receiving EI benefits or has received EI benefits within the last 5 years, and who has an:
- Employer Sponsor, or a
- Union Hiring Hall Sponsor, or an
- Aboriginal Skills and Employment Training Strategy (ASETS) Sponsor, or are
- An unemployed pre-existing ITA Registered Apprentice who:
- Is unemployed and is attached to their Employer Sponsor but does not have a specific return to work date at the time of requesting Financial Supports to attend Classroom Technical Training, or
- Is unemployed and without an Employer Sponsor, but has an active ITA Apprentice Registration at the time of requesting Financial Supports to attend Classroom Technical Training. (Note: The ITA keeps the Apprentice Registration active for 18 months from the date the apprentice loses his/her Employer Sponsor).
HOW TO APPLY
- Apprentices who meet the above criteria MUST apply for WorkBC Apprentice Services Financial Supports through the Online Employment Services (OES) at: https://apply.workbc.ca/; and
- You must apply separately for Employment Insurance (EI) Benefits in their last week of work, or in the first week of training to be eligible to receive WorkBC Apprentice Services Financial Supports. EI information can be obtained by visiting http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca
- Already have an Active EI Claim? Do not re-apply for EI benefits. To ensure there is no interruption to your EI benefits, you must immediately contact Service Canada and provide Service Canada with the 16 digit EI Reference Code and start and end dates of apprentice training.
- If you do not meet the criteria above under “Who Can Apply”, you must, CALL WorkBC Apprentice Services @ 1-844-428-4730 for information on how to apply for WorkBC Apprentice Services Financial Supports.
Note: To protect and continue to receive your EI benefits while in training, Active EI claimants who do not need any WorkBC Apprentice Services Financial Supports MUST also apply through the Online Employment Services portal at: https://apply.workbc.ca/ to get approval to participate in training.